Close Parent issue only if the child issues are closed

Hitesh Shah April 9, 2016

Hi,

How do you prevent a parent issue (Mostly of type Story) from closing if it has got any child issue (of type: Sub-task, Bug or task etc) associated with it. I know of a plugin (JIRA Workflow Toolbox) which lets me do that but I do not want to use it for obvious reasons . Is there any way this can be achieved without using any plug-in.

Can any one help on this?

Thanks,
Hitesh 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2016

There is a built in condition for "prevent this transition if any subtasks are in <list of> status".  Try that one.

Hitesh Shah April 10, 2016

Thanks Nic, but this condition is only for sub-tasks. There could be issues of other type as well which are not being taken care of by this condition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2016

I think you've misread it - it's for all sub-task types.  Doesn't matter what they're called.

Paul Thomas June 7, 2016

I think Hitesh means that you can link an issue using the "is parent of" and "is child of" links without them being sub-task types.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2016

Then they're not sub-tasks.  Those are link types that are not off-the-shelf, so they've been added by an admin, and they're frankly meaningless because they don't define sub-tasks.  They are links, and they do define a relationship, but it's not parent/child, it's parent/parent with a misleading name.

Paul Thomas June 8, 2016

I'm fully aware of all of that, the question of how to check the status of linked issues is still perfectly valid in general I think. I've found another question that deals with this quite nicely: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/159524

Suggest an answer