Cleanup components

Dieter Lauwers November 15, 2016

Hi,

I would like to cleanup the available components in a JIRA project. We used components for different situations/reasons, but now we have a clear view what components we would like to use. But, when I delete a component, I suppose that it is also removed from the issues? 

My request, I would like to make a few components not visible anymore when I create a new issue, but they should still be linked to the older issues. How should I do this in Jira?

Greetings,

Dieter

3 answers

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Hi Dieter,

When you delete a component that has related issues, you get the choice whether to remove it from the issues or to swap:

delete-component.jpg

Unfortunately, JIRA doesn't offer a simple way to archive (i.e. prevent selection on create, but still keep on the older/existing issues).

This is the feature request, if you want to vote for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-10507.

There are a couple of workarounds people have suggested:

1. Rename your old components with a "Inactive" prefix, so that "MyComponent" becomes "Inactive-MyComponent". This is pretty easy to do and at least makes it clearer to users that it should not be selected.

2. Create a custom field called "Archived Component(s)" and use bulk change to set values in there for Components you want to archive, on the applicable issues. Then you can clean up the project Components by deleting the ones you have moved into "Archived Component(s)".

There might be other suggestions, but I hope these are helpful.

Sam

First of all, I going to vote for the archive component feature. 

I think that we are going for the renaming 'Z-Inactive MyCompnent' workaround.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

It's a pretty longstanding request, I'm afraid. Seems unlikely Atlassian will improve this in the near future, but who knows!

Anyway, if my answer was helpful, please consider up-voting or accepting it.

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2018

Hi! 

I am using python code for automatic removing components

from atlassian import Jira
from var import config
import logging

ATLASSIAN_USER = config.JIRA_LOGIN
ATLASSIAN_PASSWORD = config.JIRA_PASSWORD

logging.basicConfig(level=logging.ERROR)

server = Jira(
url=config.JIRA_URL,
username=ATLASSIAN_USER,
password=ATLASSIAN_PASSWORD)

def remove_from_project_unneccessary_component(project_key, remove):
components = server.get_project_components(project_key)
print("Prepare to remove components for {} project without any links to issue".format(project_key))

for component in components:
component_id = component.get('id')
issue_count = server.get_component_related_issues(component_id).get('issueCount')
if issue_count == 0:
if remove:
server.delete_component(component_id)
print("Review component {}".format(component.get('name')))

projects = server.get_all_projects(included_archived=True)

for project in projects:
project_key = project.get('key')
remove_from_project_unneccessary_component(project_key, remove=True)

Hope it helps 

Cheers,

Gonchik TSymzhitov

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2016
  1. Go to Issues > Search for issues
  2. select advanced mode and type this JQL:
    component in ("name of 1st component to remove", "2nd component", "and so on")
  3. click on the button [...] from the top-right corner > bulk change X issues
  4. select Edit operation, then Components, and finally set the field empty (None).

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response

I would like to keep the components that now are linked to the current issues. But, I would like to filter the list of components when I add a new issue. 

This way I keep the history of linked components linked to issue and for new issues I would like to have less components available to select.

Greetings,

Dieter

Suggest an answer