Changing server ID in JIRA

Antoine Allaman November 15, 2017

My JIRA Server ID has been refused by my.atlassian.com portal when I try to download my recently purchased Atlassian JIRA Core license.

The non-working Server ID value displayed is JIRA Console is a long number:

xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

(FYI, this JIRA Server has been migrated from JIRA Cloud)

I've made that work by giving the Server ID displayed the previous JIRA Core evaluation section (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). But I would like to clarify the situation for the future.

Thank's for your help.

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2017

Hi Antoine,

The Server ID you listed seems to have far too many characters in it to be used for the creation of a license key.   Instead this server ID value is only expected to have 16 alphanumeric characters.

Finding your Server ID explains how you can make sure that you can correctly locate your actual server ID.

Once you can find this Server ID, you can then use that to generate your license key at https://my.atlassian.com

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Andy

Antoine Allaman November 16, 2017

That is what I did. The long Server ID I am talking about is precisely the one displayed in the Admin console under Server Id as explained in the article. I ignore how this long string arrived here. I suspect that the fact that this configuration has been imported from a Jira Cloud export is the reason. I am now looking for a way to clean this situation and to be able to download my  licenses 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

That's very strange.  I have never encountered a Jira Server installation to have anything other than a 16 character Server ID, not even if you migrated from Cloud.

Instead of trying to find the Server ID that way, let's try to look into the initial startup logs of Jira.  These too should contain the Server ID for this instance, even before a Cloud restore could have happened.   So if there is something new about how Cloud restores might possible change that, the initial startup logs for Jira server should still contain the server ID.

Try navigating to the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file.   In the start up of those logs there is a section that will look like this:

___ Core Application Properties ____________

Version                                       : 7.5.0
         Build #                                       : 75005
         Build Date                                    : Tue Sep 05 00:00:00 CDT 2017
         Installation Type                             : Standalone
         Server ID                                     : XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
         Base URL                                      : http://localhost:8750
         Default Language                              : English (United States)
         External User Management                      : OFF

You should be able to search through the log file's first start up to find this 16 character server ID and use that in order to generate this license.

Please try this and let me know the results.
Andy

Antoine Allaman November 17, 2017

OK. If I

grep "Server ID" atlassian-jira.log

I find three different references of  "Server ID".

I find two different 16 character Server ID, and another long server ID (the one that I see on the admin console)

Here is the log entry of the long one :

2017-11-15 21:59:40,097 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO anonymous 1318x214x1 5z63v3 185.50.220.166,127.0.0.1 /secure/SetupImport.jspa [c.a.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl] The Server ID for this JIRA instance is: [xxxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx]

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

Hi Antoine,

Use either one of the 16 character Server IDs you found in that log for the creation of the license.  Either of those will work correctly for the process of license creation and activation. 

Regards,
Andy

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Hi! 

Better place to ask it is Atlassin support, if you have purchased license.

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portals

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2017

Hi Gonchik,

While I don't want to discourage community users from reaching out to support, there are some users here on community that don't actually have access to the Atlassian standard support service desk instance (such as starter licenses).

In which case, I don't believe that Antonie would be able to create a technical support case there.   As such, users can still create billing and licensing requests there, but technical support for starter licenses is no longer provided there since the change back in July.

Going forward we want to make sure that such requests can be handled here on Community.

Thanks,
Andy

Suggest an answer