Changing default value or the list of values of a selection list custom field based on the user logged in

Meenakshi Nainwal April 4, 2016

I have a list of values in custom field of type selection list.

Based on the user logged in, I want to change the default selected value of that field.

Also, based on the user logged in,  I want to change the list of values in that field.

Is it possible?

2 answers

2 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Hi @Meenakshi Nainwal,

This feature is not available out of the box in JIRA. I have an idea on how to solve it but I didn't try it.

You could add the following script to the announcement banner:

<script type="text/javascript">
(function($){ jQuery(document).ready(function($){ 
    $(function(){
   
        $.get(AJS.params.baseURL + "/rest/auth/1/session", function (data) {
            userName = data.name;
   
            // check groups
            $.get(AJS.params.baseURL + "/rest/api/2/user", {username: userName, expand: "groups"}, function (data) {
                var groups = data.groups;
                var groupItems = jQuery.map(groups.items, function (val, j) {
if (val.name == "jira-administrators"){
var select = document.getElementById('customfield_10617');select.options.remove(0);//removes the first option
}
return val.name});
</script>

The above script should remove the first option of the custom field if the logged in user is in jira-administrators group. You can tweak it to do more options with the custom field.

0 votes
RVal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

Another possibility is to use Kepler Database Custom FIeld. This field takes values from database and arrange them as drop down select list. It is configured with SQL query from one of available data sources.

So you can define mapping of your values to users in DB, make sure this DB is available in JIRA as a data source. Then you can add database custom field with SQL query like the following:

select my_value from values_table where my_user = currentuser

Suggest an answer