Changing JIRA to windows version

nidhis January 4, 2016

Hi Team,

We are currently using JIRA server based application in our environment.

Requirement is we need to extract issues from JIRA based on a selected criteria but for that we manually have to do that.

If we can use windows version of JIRA we can use command prompt to extract the data.

is there any way to get addition windows/desktop of same JIRA which we are using in linux platform.?

Regards,
Nidhi

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2016

>If we can use windows version of JIRA we can use command prompt to extract the data.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.  You can use anything to extract data from JIRA - direct database reads, although not recommended, are OS independent.  The REST interface is OS independent.  The XML and RSS outputs are OS independent, Bob Swift's CLI runs on almost anything.

I think you should explain what you're doing and why you think you need Windows for it, because there's almost certainly a better way to do it (without Windows)

To answer the original question as presented though...

1.  Install the same version of JIRA on a Windows box
  2. If you're not moving the database, then copy the home directories and point the new server at the dataase
  3. If you are moving the database, do an export/import
  4. Remove the old JIRA
nidhis January 4, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks.

Will it move current instance from Linux to windows?

I require Linux version to be stable.

Mainly my requirement is at the end of every year, I should be able to extract data from JIRA server automatically according to the query defined and it should save that data to format required.

For now I am extracting issues fro  JIRA GUI, which is tedious task. and if there are so many issues, it shows very slow performance.

Nidhi

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2016

Moving to Windows just because you think you need it to do extracts is a lot of work for no reward - there are LOADS of ways of doing extracts. Please could you explain what the extracts are?

nidhis January 4, 2016

Hi,

The extracts are :

For few specific projects from JIRA we need to extract all the closed issues for a whole year.

We require to take it in PDF using a PDF view plugin as it includes attachments and comments as well from JIRA.

For this purpose, we need to have a method by which we can every year get extracted data from JIRA in JIRA server in required format files.

We thought if we can use command prompt, it will be easy to use a script to extract data.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2016

Right, if you're going to want more than 1,000 lines, you will need to find/write something that can page over the lists and get them in blocks. I'd use Bob Swift's CLI add-on to do it - you can use that to pull the data over a simple connection and then write a few lines of script on the client machine to put them together and convert it to a pdf (this is a doddle on a Linux box, and a lot harder and more expensive on Windows) I have no idea why you think moving the server to Windows would help you in any way - the extracts can be run anywhere, and don't care about the server.

Suggest an answer