Change Jira Database URL

Harry Stine January 31, 2017

Hello,

We are planning on changing some features to our lab and this will involve changing the IP on the MySQL server that JIRA uses.

I was wondering what we would need to do to adapt JIRA to this. The database url does not appear to be modifiable through straightforward means, and there does not appear to be any documentation on this.

I imagine this would be simpler than a migration of the database, but I am having trouble information on this particular use.

Our versions are:

JIRA Version: 7.3.0

Database Version: MySQL 5.6.35

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2017

Actually, not painful at all, once you know where to look (which is, of course, less than obvious)

Stop JIRA, clone your database to the new location, then go to <JIRA home> and find the text file dbconfig.xml.  Edit the location in there in a text editor, and restart JIRA.

Harry Stine January 31, 2017

Thank you, sir. Thought it had to be something like this.

Something I forgot to ask, if we are also changing the IP on the JIRA host, are there any concerns with that? Will JIRA automatically pick the change up for whatever purposes it needs to be, or is there something we need to do to ensure it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2017

It's possible that can have an effect.  Ideally, though, you're using some form of DNS, so that <myserver.ourdomain> always resolves to the current ip address of the server.  The use of DNS means that you can mostly ignore ip changes as long as the JIRA base url does not change.

Suggest an answer