Capacity planning Jira

Corinna March 11, 2016

Hello, does anybody know if JIRA enables in any way a good way to do capacity planning, inclunding & availibility for each ressource. Similar as in MS Project...so that we can plan workload against available ressources for each release, including the calculation that some ressources to only work maye 30% on this Project and release ?!

Thanks in advance

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2016

You might want to try the Portfolio add-on, it allows you to allocate skill sets and availability within teams (e.g. Within project AAA, Nic can do 3 hours JIRA and 1 hour Confluence per day, and 1 hour admin on project B) shows you a neat delivery timeline, and updates it as you reallocate resources or add breaks and holidays.

Although the timeline is very useful, I'd try it alongside the Gantt chart Rahul suggests.

You might also want to take a look at the Tempo add-ons.  They're a bit lighter on the "planning a huge project" side, and do resource planning differently (although the method is just as good, and probably better than Portfolio for a lot of teams).  Again, I'd be tempted to add the Gantt chart to that.

Corinna March 15, 2016

Do you also know the Big Gantt Chartt ? I think there is the Gant Chart from Frank Polscheit, and the Big Gantt Chart.....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

There's several Gantt chart add-ons.  Frank's is the one I've used in the past, as it's been around a long time, and so people have installed it on systems that I've later looked at.  Frank has kept it well supported for a long time.

I've not really tried the Big Gantt chart - it's relatively new compared with Frank's, and I've not yet looked at any sites using it in any detail (Seen a couple, but the focus of the work has been elsewhere - it's installed, but I've not touched it).  Most of my work nowadays is with Agile-like teams in one way or another, so there's no real use for Gantt charts in most places.

Corinna March 16, 2016

ok thank you a lot for your information !!

Corinna March 16, 2016

and do you remember if once i activare the log on work field...the planned and planned end fields in my JIRA screen are beeing shown as baseline in the Gantt Chart and I can no more change this ?? I read something about that.....so i think I needed to be carefull when to activate the time tracking in conncetion to the Gantt Chart

Corinna March 17, 2016

ahh so the Portfolio add on allows me to to ressource planning , and also time planning question alongside various project ? is this not possible with the Gantt Chart of Frank ..? ( I think there I should use Filter to get all my projects on the screen....but late how this works with ressource ??) ----i feel sometimes a Gantt Chart like this can make JIRA very slow...that s also why our JIRA admin did not like Franks Gantt chart....but that would be the same with the Portfolio add on ???

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2016

I've not seen performance issues with Portfolio or the Gantt chart directly.  I have seen both of them struggle with huge amounts of issues, but in both cases, JIRA struggles with it too, so I'm not surprised that an add-on struggles as well.

The thing here is that they do different things.  The Gantt chart builds you a Gantt chart from your issues and allows you to move things around so your dates and dependencies fit.  The Portfolio add-on allows you to build over-arching plans which you turn into issues (or you can pull issues into a plan) and then move the dates and resources around as well as grouping, re-organising and replanning things on the fly.

They both work by changing JIRA issues and then reporting on those issues.  I don't see any reason that you can't use both - a change from one of them affects the baseline JIRA issue and hence gets seen and reported by the other.

Corinna March 18, 2016

ok but basically the Portfolio has the same function than the Gantt Chart, only it does not use the classical Gantt Chart View and maybe you can not create dependencies...seems it has a more agile Look...and the Gant Chart Add on is the classical look.....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2016

No, they do very different things. 

The Gantt chart builds you a Gantt chart from your issues and allows you to move things around so your dates and dependencies fit.  The Portfolio add-on allows you to build over-arching plans which you turn into issues (or you can pull issues into a plan) and then move the dates and resources around as well as grouping, re-organising and replanning things on the fly.

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

There are couple of plugins available in  the marketplace.

Try Gantt Chart plugin from Frank Polscheit. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.polscheit.jira.plugins.gantt/server/overview 

Rahul

0 votes
Itamar Ben Sinai September 23, 2017
0 votes
Corinna March 11, 2016

Thank you ...i heard some remarks about the Gantt Chart Plugin , that is caused JIRA breakdown...so some kind of problem in this direction.....do you know anything about that ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2016

I've had performance issues and broken indexing caused by one of the Gantt chart add-ons in the past, but that was on JIRA 4, and I'm pretty sure it was not Frank's add-on. 

Corinna March 11, 2016

ok but can i add % availability for each ressource in this Gant Chart plugin. since this is crucial for our customer, since we are working in a Matrix and no developer works 100% on one project....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events