Cannot start JIRA due to Caught PSQLException for select O_S_PROPERTY_TEXT.propertyvalue

Christian Schlaefcke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2016

Hi,

after a server restart I cannot start JIRA (Version 7.1.9 on PostgreSQL version 9.5.3) anymore. I see a lot of exceptions like this in the logs:

Caused by: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.querydsl.core.QueryException: Caught PSQLException for select O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.property_key, O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.propertytype
from public.propertyentry O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY
where O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.entity_name = ? and O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.entity_id = ?
order by O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.id desc
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:207)
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:158)
       	... 27 more
Caused by: com.querydsl.core.QueryException: Caught PSQLException for select O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.property_key, O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.propertytype
from public.propertyentry O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY
where O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.entity_name = ? and O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.entity_id = ?
order by O_S_PROPERTY_ENTRY.id desc
       	at com.querydsl.sql.DefaultSQLExceptionTranslator.translate(DefaultSQLExceptionTranslator.java:50)
       	at com.querydsl.sql.Configuration.translate(Configuration.java:453)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore$PropertySetData.lambda$loadPropertyKeysAndTypes$689(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:462)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.database.DefaultQueryDslAccessor$1.lambda$executeQuery$149(DefaultQueryDslAccessor.java:79)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.database.DatabaseAccessorImpl.executeQuery(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:67)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.database.DefaultQueryDslAccessor$1.executeQuery(DefaultQueryDslAccessor.java:78)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.query(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:278)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.access$200(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:71)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore$PropertySetData.loadPropertyKeysAndTypes(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:456)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore$PropertySetData.<init>(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:416)
       	at com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.loadPropertySetData(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:264)
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.MemoryCacheManager$3$1.load(MemoryCacheManager.java:162)
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.lambda$get$0(DelegatingCache.java:158)
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.lambda$get$1(DelegatingCache.java:186)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalManualCache$1.load(LocalCache.java:4742)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3527)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2319)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2282)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2197)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3937)
       	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalManualCache.get(LocalCache.java:4739)
       	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:173)
       	... 29 more
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FEHLER: konnte Block 11 in Datei ?base/16428/105974? nicht lesen: es wurden nur 0 von 8192 Bytes gelesen
       	at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2310)
       	at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2023)
       	at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:217)
       	at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.execute(PgStatement.java:421)
       	at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgPreparedStatement.executeWithFlags(PgPreparedStatement.java:166)
       	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
       	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
       	at com.querydsl.sql.AbstractSQLQuery.fetch(AbstractSQLQuery.java:446)

I already tried to search for a solution but I was not able to get anything helpful out of google when I use the exception details as search term sad

Any hint pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and Regards,

Christian

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Schlaefcke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

As Chris already stated my issues happened due to disk failures. I have to replace the disk and setup anything from backup. Fortunately the affected instance is just a playground environment and not a heavy load production system smile

1 vote
Christian Schlaefcke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2016

Hmm, just found out that Postgresql 9.5.x is not supported yet. Maybe this is causing the problems. I will try to downgrade to Postgresql 9.3.x ...

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2016

Although PostgreSQL 9.5.x isn't officially supported yet (and you should remain on the earlier version to remain on what we support until advised that 9.5.x is okay), it is something that we have started looking at internally, and I don't recall seeing any errors like that come up at any point during the trials.

This looks to me more like an error stemming from corruption of the database itself; that is, this does not look like an problem with the client or server version, but rather a purely server-side error being reported. It may not matter since you'll need to return to a supported database version anyway, but I think you would need to repair the database to have any hope of proceeding.

Suggest an answer