Cannot remove user from jira-users group

Rumceisz January 22, 2016

Hi Everyone,

there is a v6.2.6 JIRA and we cannot remove several users from jira-users group. The users are inactive by the way. Why is that?

Cheers,
Rumi

2 answers

0 votes
John Pfotzer January 22, 2016

Rumcelsz, When you try to remove users, first of all you may want to not remove them, but deactivate them, and remove them from any group. That way you can keep their information in case they need to be reactivated. Do you get a RED box that says they belong to the project lead role in the XXX project. If so you have to go to that project and replace them in whatever role they are assigned. Then you can return and remove or deactivate them.

Hi John,

thanks for the fast reply!

The users are already inactive but they count against the JIRA license. We have a 10 users license and we reached the top. I didn't want to delete them. Yes, when I wanted to delete the users the red box appear because they are either reporters or assignee of issues. But why cannot remove them from jira-users group?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2016

Explain/expound the phrase "why cannot remove them"

Hi Gabrielle,

I click on the Groups next to the user, then click 'jira-users' in the remove from section, then it seems that it was done (no error message) and when I get back to the users section, the user is still member of 'jira-users'.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2016

Ooh, I've seen that happen before a few times.  It's silently failing to remove them from the group. 

In my cases, it was different causes, and I had to read the log file to see what was going wrong.  (As usual, tail -f the log file while clicking the "delete" in another window)

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2016

How are you removing them? Are you seeing any errors when you remove them? Can you provide screenshots?

Suggest an answer