Can you set a global fixVersion in JIRA that can be consumed by multiple sub-projects?

Jared Morgan July 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing versions

I've set up a release version in my project, but the same release version applies to multiple projects who's work is rolled up into this one milestone.

Does JIRA allow us to set a global release milestone?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2016

No, I'm afraid versions are all local to projects.

When you're using Agile boards, you can set common version names across the issues on a board (which can cross project), but they're still really project items.

0 votes
Jared Morgan July 20, 2016

Thanks for responding @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

So each project would need to set up an identical milestone and then apply all issues fixed to it. 

In my case, that would be 10 projects all doing the same thing, with potentially a different description.

It seems like a disconnect to me, but if the scope of fixVersion is only to the project, then it would be hard to try and expand this to a global context without significant rework and customer education.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2016

Yes, your thoughts are pretty much spot on. 

The Software application and Portfolio add-on can help a lot with managing it across projects, and it's worth a look in the marketplace for version management add-ons (ones that can effectively create and manage versions across projects)

Suggest an answer