Can you restrict role to not create new boards within a project?

Janice Lunes March 23, 2020

Hi All :)

I have a question related to roles and right within JIRA.

Is it possible to disable the option to "create a new board" in a project?

For the role "Team Member" I would like to disable the option to create boards in projects they are added to.

I want this option available only for project admins and scrummasters.

Is this possible and where exactly can I do this?

Hope you can help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

Hi Janice,

You might try going to System > Settings and then Global Permissions under Security.

Then change the Share dashboards and filters section to exclude the user. It might not prevent them from creating boards, but they would not be able to share the underlying filter on the board with anyone so no one would ever see their board. 

Other than that, I don't know of a way to do it. 

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your reply :)

But would this only work for 1 users or an actual role like scrum master for example?

I'm going to try this first to see how it looks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

If you are only eliminating one user, it's going to be a real pain. You can add a person simply to be able to perform the function, but eliminating a single user is going to be a lot of work to maintain.

It would be easier to monitor boards they create and go back behind them and clean them up. Have they been told they are not allowed to create boards?

Ah I see ok yes get it :D

Well they do know but you know people always try to just click on it and then we have a board ;)

I think you helped me along the way perfectly John thank you :D

I will try to work on your advise and try to manage the boards from my side more!

Wishing you a great day!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2020

Very good. Can you click on the Accept answer button above to close this one out if that's all I can help with? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events