Can you notify a workgroup when only 1 of their issue types (Bugs) gets assigned? If so, how?

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2016

We have several issue types used by a project but only want to notify a workgroup when only 1 of the issue types is "assigned". I thought I could do it via an event, but I can't figure out how to tie "assigning" event to it's workflow since it is not a transition step.

We are using 6.4.5/Server

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2016

Another option I can think of is to use the JIRA Automation Plugin.

You can create an automation rule to trigger a custom event whenever an issue is assigned. You can also use the filter to restrict that to happen only for bugs. The new event will be used in the notification scheme to send notifications only to the selected group.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

Thanks Jobin! After further review, I can see that I can not get what I want without looking at that plugin or to utilize the filter suggestion. Thanks for you help:)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

You can create a filter that lists issues of type 'Bug' which were assigned in the last 'N' minutes. You can then create a filter subscription that runs every 'N' minutes to notify the group you want.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/receiving-search-results-via-email-185729664.html

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

Thanks Jobin, we may have to do that, if we can't find a way to notify without a using a filter. I would prefer to be able to create an event or a listener or something like that if possible. Thanks so much for the quick response.

Suggest an answer