Can you choose which issues are released on a Kanban board?

Bernadette Makhlouf April 5, 2016

We're using Kanban and have a couple issues that are in the Done column that were released to Production. But there are others there that have just passed testing and we don't want to release yet.

Is there a way to mark only those 2 issues as "Released" on the Kanban board without releasing all issues in the Done column?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user April 6, 2016

Another option would be to modify the board to include an additional status like "Planned for release" or "Completed Not Released" before the "Done" status, this will keep those issues not released separate from those that are. Only the issues in the last column will be included in the release.

You'll need to add the status to your workflow and update the board configuration/columns for this to work.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2016

Not on the board - the point of the "release" function is to clear the column of done work.

However, you can just drop back to plain JIRA and put a released fix-version on the two issues.  They'll then drop off the board automatically.

Bernadette Makhlouf April 6, 2016

Thanks Nic!

Matt Parkinson June 19, 2017

Thanks for this, couldn't find anywhere to add issues to a release before i read this.

You might also want to add the Fix Version field to your "screen" for easy access.

0 votes
Yanela Carllinni September 26, 2017

hi @Bernadette Makhlouf! Did you find a solution to release a set of selected  issues ??

Bernadette Makhlouf September 28, 2017

Hi @Yanela Carllinni,

I use Fix versions on each issue as Nic suggested. So when I "release" I choose the Fix version number I want to be removed from the board. Our Fix versions align to our code branch release numbers.

Then as Matt suggested you can change the issue "screen" to show Fix versions on each issue card on the board.

Suggest an answer