Can you be a Jira Admin for specific projects, but not be a Jira Admin for other projects?

jude.jang March 26, 2020

I'm relatively new to Jira and I believe I am an Jira Admin, but I think I have more permissions for certain types of projects than others. For example, whenever I am working with a classic software type project, I am able to configure the projects board. But when I am working with a classic business type project, I am unable to configure the projects board.

Does this mean I'm a Jira Admin for classic software type projects, but not for classic business type projects? How can I receive the ability to configure boards for classic business type projects?

2 answers

1 vote
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

There are significant differences between the two, primarily that a software project has standard agile workflows and boards associated, while a business project does not.  You could modify and update the categories to try to force boards based on the workflow, but this probably isn't ideal.  

As a new user, you are probably a project admin.  You should discuss discuss this with your system administrator to understand your access and limitations as well as best practices within your organization.

Hope this helps,

Marianne

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2020

Hi Jude - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As Marianne says Business project functionality is very limited in what you can modify - even if you are both a project admin and a Jira admin. If you need to do that, I would suggest you create the project as a Classic Software project. 

jude.jang March 27, 2020

Is there any advantage of having a classic business project over a classic software project?

Also, it looks like that I have certain permissions to edit all the existing classic software projects, but not classic business projects. How can I receive permissions to also have permissions to edit classic business projects?

And how can I find out if I am a project admin or Jira admin and for which projects?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2020

Classic provides for much for flexibility than Business. I have to say that I NEVER use Business projects for that reason.

If you go to a board for a project and can see the Project Settings menu option on the left hand side, then you are probably a project administrator. 

If you click on the gear icon and can see options for System Settings, Issue Settings, etc. then you are a Jira Admin also. 

jude.jang March 27, 2020

Is this what you mean?

I believe I have both? So would that mean I am both a Project Admin as well as a Jira Admin? Because I am still unable to create columns for this project board which is a classic business type.

Project Settings.pngSettings.png

jude.jang March 27, 2020

Is this what you mean? I believe this means that I am both a Project Admin and a Jira Admin? But I am still unable to add/delete columns on this classic business project board.

Project Settings.pngSettings.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2020

Correct.  :-)

If this answers your questions, can you click on the Accept answer button to close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer