Can we restore SOAP API calls on JIRA7?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

Hi 

We were using SOAP API calls from other applications to JIRA 6. However after upgrade to JIRA7, the SOAP API calls are failing because it has been removed.

My questions is, is it possible to restore SOAP API calls on JIRA7 by adding some plugins or JAR files etc?

Rahul

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2017

In theory, yes, you could use add-ons to enable JIRA 7 to respond to SOAP calls.

However, you're going to have to write it for yourself.  The code for SOAP in the old 6.3 and below systems is not compatible with version 7.  It would probably be better to put the effort into converting the other applications to use REST (or if both of those options are too big, maybe writing a translating service - a server program that can take the SOAP calls, convert them into REST and poke them over to JIRA)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

hi Nic,thanks for your response.

what if i pick up the SOAP Jar file from 6.4 version and try to update the pom.xml to make it compatible with JIRA7. Will it work? Or are we talking about rewriting the entire plugin?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2017

You'll need to rewrite it. A lot of the internal stuff has changed in 7, especially users, and there's a lot of refactoring that dropped stuff Atlassian had deprecated but not removed until they got to 7.

And I would look to 6.3 - SOAP went away in 6.4 (code might still be there, dormant, but it was removed from 6.4, so I wouldn't bet on it existing or being useful)

Diego Ferreira
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2017

My vote goes with Nic's - put your effort into updating your application to use the REST API.

Suggest an answer