Can we limit the ability to open tickets by the value of a custom field

Jen-Qology April 13, 2016

If values in a field are multiple (x, y, z) can we limit the ability to open a ticket based on 1 value

I.e. - John can only open tickets that are y value.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

I'm not sure what you want here, but I think what you will need for this is a "Validator" in the Create even of your workflow transition to do what you want. Maybe a script or Custom Field value checker, there a lot of add-ons for that.

I agree its rather restrictive, but what we are attempting to do is to have certain teams create tickets for specific business units so when a report is ran we see that x amount is the true value of tickets being opened for that vertical.

0 votes

I agree its rather restrictive, but what we are attempting to do is to have certain teams create tickets for specific business units so when a report is ran we see that x amount is the true value of tickets being opened for that vertical.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2016

Gabrielle has the right answer to "limit the ability", but it's a really ugly idea.  User goes in to create issue, fills in a load of data, gets told they can't create the issue and that their way of logging it is "wrong".  It's extremely frustrating to have that done. 

A far better way to do it is to not offer the user the field, and calculate what they should have put in for them.  Instead of "John can only put Y on the issue", then have a post function that says "John raised this, so I put Y in the field".  Saves his effort, stops him getting frustrated and the problem goes away.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2016

Definitely a case for "set the business unit field depending on the user", rather than try to bludgen the user into it.

Jen-Qology April 14, 2016

How can we do that Nic without impacting the entire project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2016

It will only apply to issues that go through the transition you put the post-function on.  But that's what you want to do anyway, from what you've said.

Jen-Qology April 14, 2016

Yes, thanks

Suggest an answer