Can i point my jira test web server to production db ?

Tiraphol Pengvanich June 20, 2016

can i install new test server and point the databse to jira_db production?

2 answers

1 vote
Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2016

Nope, unless you are in a "clustered" mode (i.e. datacenter license), JIRA will not start if 2 instances are trying to access the same database.

But if you point a second installation of JIRA to your jira_db production, any changes in your JIRA test will affect your production database.

What you want to do is to duplicate your database (potentially on the same database server, but a different database, for example jira_db_test ) by dumping&importing your db from jira_db (prod), and have your test instance to point at this one

Hope it helps

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2016

Only if you really want to corrupt your data.

The whole point of a test environment is that it is isolated from your production environment so that you can sanity check behaviour before putting your production data at risk.  Even within the limited circumstances where this is possible, it's a very bad idea.

Clone your database and point your test instance at the clone, instead.  The first time something goes wrong, you'll be very glad that you did.

Suggest an answer