Rosabelle Gonzales April 23, 2016

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2016

An Epic is an issue that you link with stories, tasks and other issue types as you need to group them together.

A component is a part of a project, and the component list is used to indicate what component(s) an issue might belong to in that project.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "epic used by other components"?

Rosabelle Gonzales April 23, 2016

Okay. Maybe, I'm a little bit confused of what components can do. Components are used to group issues into smaller parts. From this, I assume components set boundaries to issues. If we have no permission to one component, we should have no idea about issues inside it. Right now, I'm trying to plan our JIRA Setup. We have at least 3 issue types: Epic, Task and Subtask. From this, I want Epic to be useful for all components but Task/Subtask should only be used within a component. Will this be possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2016

Ok, you're using the word "components" in it's generic form, but in JIRA, it has a specific meaning for a type of field which is not the same level as what you're talking about.

It's not quite this simple, but in JIRA there's a hierarchy:

• Category (does nothing other than group projects)
  • Project - a logical group of issues, with a lot of configuration, including permissions, and the list of possibly components
  • Issue - the actual thing to work on.  The type of issue can determine some of the configuration (fields and workflow)
  • Sub-task - parts of issues

Then you have the concepts:

• Epic - a group of stories that could come from any project (even though the Epic lives in one project)
  • Component - a field that can be used to group issues together, taking the options from the project level (e.g. project rainbow could have components red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and project pets might have dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, llama.  And so on).

From your explanation, I think what you are calling "components" would be best represented by projects in JIRA, because users can be added to projects to give them visibility of the issues, and it's a logical group of issues.  Your issue types don't really matter, you can put whatever issue types you want in each project.  Except for Epics - yes, they can go across projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events