Can couchbase be used as the database for Jira?

Brett Murphy August 14, 2016

I want to use couchbase with Jira, since it is easily clustered and suits a containerized environment.

Are there any plans to include a java couchbase connector for JIRA in the future?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2016

If there's a JDBC driver for it that can be installed into a Tomcat, then yes, you can use any database you want.  Of course, you won't be supported unless it's one of the four Atlassian do support.  I don't believe that there are any plans to support anything other than the current four databases (barring maybe adding Maria as MySQL is going that way)

But, bear in mind that JIRA needs it to look as though it's a single database, which it owns and has exclusive access to.  You can cluster the back-end database, but it must look like a single database server to JIRA (You can't cluster JIRA, unless you go to the Data Centre installation, and that pretty much requires a supported database server)

Brett Murphy August 14, 2016

Thanks for that,

I am sure that ant JDBC couchbase driver would be cluster-aware in itself, but how it presents that to JIRA I would have to research further into.

Suggest an answer