Can component assignee also be the issue assignee - automatically

Julio Valdez March 16, 2017

Hi,

When choosing a component lead when creating an issue also trigger the issue assignee to be the same (automatically)? 

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

You can do this off-the-shelf.  Look at the list of components, and you'll find some settings to the right about who the default assignee is - project lead, unassigned, project default or component lead.  No need for post-functions.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2017

You can have a workflow post function to automatically assign the ticket to the component lead, when a component is selected during issue creation. Is that what you meant?

Not sure what you meant by choosing a component lead when creating the issue because you can't change component lead while creating issues. Are you talking about a custom field instead?

You can have a workflow post function to automatically assign the ticket to the component lead, when a component is selected during issue creation. Is that what you meant?  Yes, this is it!  So I have to look at teh post function feature?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2017

If you want to do it during issue creation, do what Nic mentioned. If it is during another step in the workflow, go for the post function. 

Great answers!  Another request is when cloning an issue that is assigned to the component lead and then 'edited' for new fields, for the new component lead to also be the new issue assignee. 

Meaning, I created an issue and based on the component, the same user is the assignee.  Now when I clone this same issue and edit the fields (component being one of them) the new component field option assignee should also now be the issue assignee.  

Currently, it's not changing the 'assignee' when editing the component field.

Thanks again!

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2017

Once assigned, JIRA won't change the assignee based on changes in the component, unless you explicitly do that in a workflow action. In the case of cloning, the assignee will not be modified unless the assignee is not valid in the target project of the cloned issue. Hope that makes sense.

Julio Valdez March 22, 2017

What we are trying to accomplish is this:

Clone an issue. Then change the component. And I would like the assignee to be automatically updated with the person for that component.  
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2017

You'll need a listener to do the automatic re-assignment on edit.  This could be quite hard, as there's no way to know when it's an edit of a clone, or just an edit.

Julio Valdez March 22, 2017

What if we make it automatically re-assign on ALL edits for the component field (clone and edits)?  Would that more easier to implement?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2017

Yes, that would be a simple implementation.  I suspect your users would demand you remove it quite quickly though - why should adding or updating a component automatically re-assign something I'm hlaf-way through?

Julio Valdez March 23, 2017

This is a request from the project lead. When cloning an issue, he states they will change the component and thus wants the cloned issue to be assigned to the 'new component' lead.  How do I implement this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2017

You will need to write a new "clone" process - the existing one copies an issue as-is. 

Julio Valdez March 23, 2017

Do you have a template I can follow by any chance?

Suggest an answer