Can You Convert Custom Field Format?

Katherine Knochel March 10, 2016

Is it possible to change the format/type of an existing custom field?  I presently have a single select drop down menu for Client Name, which I would like to convert into a cascading drop down so I can include a client ID with the client name.  I don't want to lose the ability to report on existing.previous tickets with the existing Client Name field.

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

It is not possible. You have to create new custom field.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Not directly - you have to mess around with the database, and a lot of conversions aren't easy (or possible) even with database access.

Without hacking the database, you could add a new field, populate the options, and then do some bulk-edits to copy the data across into it.  I'd also remove the old field from create/edit and transition screens so that no-one puts data in it, and then delete it when everyone has moved to using the new field.

Suggest an answer