Can We Configure a Board to pull Tasks From Multiple Boards?

Phillip Talbot April 20, 2017

Here is our situation,

We are a small developement company. We have about 20 developers and only 2 QAs. We have six JIRA boards (one per Dev team). Until March 1st we had no QA department (insert me and my friend). I was tasked with setting up the entire QA infrastructure. We are entertaining the idea of one board for all QA so we don't have to search through 6 Dev boards (I am open to other suggestions also).

My question is three parts:

1. Can I set up a board to pull items from all 6 boards based on their status (done, resolved, Code Complete, etc.)?

2. Can I have the items pushed back to those boards automatically upon being placed in a status on the QA board (QA Approved, QA Complete, Denied, etc.)

3. How can this be done and what type of board should be used?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

No, because boards don't "contain" issues.  Projects are the issue containers.

Boards are a selected view of issues.  Which makes your questions hard to answer directly because the concepts are wrong.  But also, easy to answer at the same time

You need to create a new board that has a filter that selects the issues you want to see on it.

Scrum or Kanban are both fine for this, although as it's a board intended for QA, Scrum is unlikely to be the way you want to work, so I'd start with a Kanban (and if that turns out to be wrong, it's fine, just create a new Scrum board.  It's just another view!)

Phillip Talbot April 20, 2017

Awesome. Thanks for the help, advice, and correction.

1 vote
Ziggy Sloke April 20, 2017

The easiest solution I can think of would be to create a Kanban board whose JQL filter just pulls/queries any tickets assigned to you and your friend (you can do either do this directly by user, or you could create a "qa testers" group, add both your accounts to it, and query that instead). It sounds like you also only care about these when they hit a cretain state, so your Kanban board JQL query might look something like:

status in (done, resolved, "Code Complete") AND assignee in membersOf("qa testers")

You'd probably want to instruct your other 20 devs to assign issues to you when they're ready for testing.

Once you either assign the issue back to a developer, AND/OR you transition the issue to state not contained in your QA boards JQL query, it will vanish from your QA board.

Alternatively, you could eliminate the "assignee" portion of that query, but you'll have a lot of stuff to comb through.

Without seeing how the other six boards are configured, I can't tell you if issues will disapear from those boards when you reassign these issues to yourselves or not.

Suggest an answer