Can Jira be configured to open a new issue on screen immediately after it has been created?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

When a new issue is created it is not opened immediately.  I'm left looking at the last screen I was working on.  This is not useful.  AT ALL.  I need to be able to work with the new ticket immediately.  I don't appreciate having to go searching for my new ticket because some barely visible dialog disappears after a few seconds.  How can I kill this demon permanently?

5 answers

0 votes
April Clark October 9, 2020

New issues that you create should be the first issue listed in your recent issues if you click the Issues dropdown in the banner. That's how it works for me, at least...

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2020

That doesn't help though.  I want to see my new issue appear immedately.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Torge Husfeldt May 28, 2019

Hi,

sorry for replying to this old thread.

The best work-around I've found so far is checking the "create another" box. That way the new ticket pop-up will stay in the create-dialog for quite a while longer.

HTH

Torge

P.S.: Pasting graphics from the copy buffer seems to work now in the create dialog.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2019

Why sorry? Answers should always be welcome.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2019

That said, what I want is my new issue on screen, not the create screen.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

It used to do that all the time.  So many people complained about it interrupting what they were doing, Atlassian moved it to a popup so you didn't lose what you were doing!

I do understand the desire for different behaviour for different ways of working - I remember asking them to make it a profile option so that an individual user could suppress the popup completely (i.e. default the behaviour to the "right click - open in new tab" Jeremy describes, but it never got anywhere.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

I do see this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-disable-create-issue-popup-300813780.html

It would be global to the environment, unfortunately, but it's a start.  Alternately, maybe the javascript method can be tweaked to be user specific.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2016

I'm not looking to suppress the popup, I'm looking to have the new ticket open immediately after I create it.  I don't want to return to the previous screen.  That's what the back arrow is for if I needed it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

The back arrow won't work - you'll have been through two screens for a start, and the one in the middle will be prompting you for data, and the context of the original screen may have been lost by the act of visiting the new issue screen as well.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2016

Conceivably, you could add javascript to the "ticket has been created" popup to cause a page redirect automatically.  I don't know how feasible that is, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2021

The one trick that actually worked was using the middle mouse button to click on the create button, which then opens the create screen on a new tab. Unfortunately this wonderful workaround was ruined in Cloud, along with the UI and functionality losses.

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

I think if you open the issue in a new window, it will go to it immediately; if you open it with a pop-up, it will give you a dialog/link.  In case that's helpful.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

I open the create screen in a new tab usually, but I don't always remember, and when I don't I'm cursing Atlassian, usually silently, but not always.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2016

Not out of the box. You may be able to do this with scripting. If this isn't true for ALL users implementing the logic to decide when to do it may be tricky. If you have the assign issue permission and the assignee field is on the create screen you can assign it to yourself which would make it easy to find. Across the board with ticketing systems I doubt many issues are opened and then immediately worked on by the same person.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

Really?  smile  Come on, Joe.  You tell me, how do you paste a screenshot in while creating a ticket?  YOU CAN'T.  

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

Not everyone works the same way.

Suggest an answer