Can Jira be configured to open a new issue on screen immediately after it has been created?

When a new issue is created it is not opened immediately.  I'm left looking at the last screen I was working on.  This is not useful.  AT ALL.  I need to be able to work with the new ticket immediately.  I don't appreciate having to go searching for my new ticket because some barely visible dialog disappears after a few seconds.  How can I kill this demon permanently?

3 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 18, 2016

Not out of the box. You may be able to do this with scripting. If this isn't true for ALL users implementing the logic to decide when to do it may be tricky. If you have the assign issue permission and the assignee field is on the create screen you can assign it to yourself which would make it easy to find. Across the board with ticketing systems I doubt many issues are opened and then immediately worked on by the same person.

Really?  smile  Come on, Joe.  You tell me, how do you paste a screenshot in while creating a ticket?  YOU CAN'T.  

Not everyone works the same way.

I think if you open the issue in a new window, it will go to it immediately; if you open it with a pop-up, it will give you a dialog/link.  In case that's helpful.

I open the create screen in a new tab usually, but I don't always remember, and when I don't I'm cursing Atlassian, usually silently, but not always.

0 votes

It used to do that all the time.  So many people complained about it interrupting what they were doing, Atlassian moved it to a popup so you didn't lose what you were doing!

I do understand the desire for different behaviour for different ways of working - I remember asking them to make it a profile option so that an individual user could suppress the popup completely (i.e. default the behaviour to the "right click - open in new tab" Jeremy describes, but it never got anywhere.

I do see this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-disable-create-issue-popup-300813780.html

It would be global to the environment, unfortunately, but it's a start.  Alternately, maybe the javascript method can be tweaked to be user specific.

I'm not looking to suppress the popup, I'm looking to have the new ticket open immediately after I create it.  I don't want to return to the previous screen.  That's what the back arrow is for if I needed it.

The back arrow won't work - you'll have been through two screens for a start, and the one in the middle will be prompting you for data, and the context of the original screen may have been lost by the act of visiting the new issue screen as well.

Conceivably, you could add javascript to the "ticket has been created" popup to cause a page redirect automatically.  I don't know how feasible that is, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

676 views 4 16
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot