• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Can JIRA send release information to be displayed in Confluence automatically using the JIRA release process? Basically, can you tie pushing the release button in JIRA and have it automatically be displayed in Confluence using a macro or other feature.Tha

Can JIRA send release information to be displayed in Confluence automatically using the JIRA release process? Basically, can you tie pushing the release button in JIRA and have it automatically be displayed in Confluence using a macro or other feature.Tha

Bette Donahue July 29, 2016

I'm being asked to maintain a list of applicaitons in Confluence showing their release status which will automatically update when versions are released.

Another alternative would be to pull all version data from JIRA for each application and have the release status automatically update when versions are released in JIRA.

Maybe this will help visualize what I am trying to accomplish,

App1 
Version 2 - unreleased and maybe proposed release date
Version 1 - released and maybe release date
App2

4 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

I see where Bette is going here. Nicolas' suggestion is the closest thing you can get from the JIRA and Confluence integration. The thing here is that you cannot just get a "version" of what those issues are. I have been faced with a similar dilemma before and I was even pushed to create an add-on for it but it's not worth my time that time. What we did is just create a JQL "Project = ABC and fixVersion = 1.0.0" then manually create a label for that JQL gadget like "ABC version 1.0.0".

0 votes

I will check with the admin team.  I know we are trying Bitbucket for our one application and think they plan to move the others as we update them.  No to Bamboo.  I can utilize JIRA filters to produce a Confluence page listing the issues so I am assuming we are fully integrated.

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

If your Confluence page shows the results of a JIRA filter, you could have something like that. Consider this JQL:

fixVersion in releasedVersions()

That JQL statement will return issues that have a released version. So yes, releasing your version could automatically display a list of released issues in Confluence, provided you use the JIRA macro with the appropriate filter.

Thanks but I don't  want the issues, just the release status for all versions of each of our 6 apps. Maybe this will help you better visualize what I am trying to accomplish,
App1 
App2
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

I see. Then no, there's no ready-made Confluence gadget that would let you do that.

That information can be gotten through JIRA's REST api though

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/project-getProjectVersions

But it's not that easy. You'd basically need to make a plugin that allows you to make REST calls to JIRA from Confluence. This Answer has some more info on this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/191112

There might be something you could do using the CLI plugin for JIRA and Confluence. You'd need the plugin on both applications. You'd use it to pull version data from JIRA and push it to Confluence. But even that would require quite a bit of scripting, and I don't think it would look pretty.

Other than that, you could use the SQL for Confluence plugin and query the JIRA database directly. Of all listed solutions, I think this one would be the best.

Maybe somebody has other more practical/affordable ideas, but I doubt you could achieve what you want without a certain amount of scripting or purchasing plugins.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

Can you describe your configuration? Do you use bitbucket, bamboo? Do you have any integrations or automations currently? You can do many of these things but some require a level of scripting.

Suggest an answer