Can I set up JIRA so that a third party can only view specific tickets?

Daniel Chesla November 29, 2016

We occasionally outsource some of our development work to third party development teams.  We would like to have a flag/dropdown/tag to mark it as a "xyz company" ticket, and then restrict their view so that they can only see tickets that have been flagged for them.  

We still want these tickets to stay on the same board, and to be seen by our own internal developers.  

Is this possible?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Chesla November 30, 2016

Ok, I am at least a little closer.  

In issue security, I set the view so that the following groups can view the tickets 

• Current assignee
  • Group (Internal Developers)
  • Group (Internal Managers)
  • Reporter

This way, the person who reported the ticket can see it, all internal Developers and Managers can see it, and anyone can see a ticket that is assigned to them.  

Our game plan is to assign the tickets to the third party manager, and let him/her reassign them to his/her team members as they see fit.  We can still track their progress internally.

During testing, this seems to work with any new tickets I create... however the tickets created prior to the rule being implemented are still visible to everyone.  

If I switch back to "None", I get the following message...

None (3 affected Issues)Security on these issues will be removed

And it removes all security

If I try to switch back to the Issue Security Scheme I created, I get the following message

"There are no previous secured issues."

Is there any way to secure tickets that were previously set to "none"

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2016

The easiest way is creating a new project for that third party's issues, modifying the board's filter to include issues of the new project as well.

Daniel Chesla November 29, 2016

We may have tickets that start out being assigned to one of our developers, then get sent out to be completed, then come back to us for QA or UAT.  We already use multiple projects, so if at all possible, I would really like to be able to keep this project all on one board so it can stay organized.  

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2016

There are also other alternative ways based on Security Levels, but that approach would require much more steps for achieving what you need.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2016

Note that one board can show issues from any number of projects.

Suggest an answer