Can I set an Epic in one JIRA Instance to have a parent Initiative in another JIRA Instance?

Elisha August 4, 2020

I work for a large organisation where different areas have their JIRA projects on one of multiple instances from JIRA 3 to JIRA cloud.

On cross area projects I would like to group JIRA epics under the project initiative where all our Project Initiatives are on JIRA cloud.

Can an epic on one server instance have a parent Initiative on another server instance?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

There's no way to do this in Jira. 

Jira systems can be linked together and some information from a remote issue extracted in a local, but it won't see a remote link as anything more than that.

Two options though

• If you invested in one of the synchronisation apps, you could create a synchronised copy of the initiatives in each place, if they are being handled as issues (I don't know how you're doing them, sorry)
  • Jira Align can handle Initiatives outside Jira, while allowing you to draw issues from many places
Elisha August 4, 2020

Hi Nic - thanks for your response. Appreciated.

On point one, just to be clearer, Initiatives refer to issues created using the Initiative Issue Type in JIRA. These are all stored in one project on one instance of JIRA.

It is the epics that can exist in other JIRA instances but which I would like to set the Parent to be any one of the Initiatives housed in our "Initiatives" project.

Suggest an answer