Can I retroactively mark projects to use Shared configurations?

Swift Capital October 19, 2015

Is there a way to do the following?

1. Create Project #1 with it's own configuration.
  2. Create Project #2 with it's own configuration (sans Shared Configuration).
  3. Retroactively apply a shared configuration of Project #1 onto Project #2.

This is concerning this new feature.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2015

Yes, the underlying config hasn't really changed - there's a set of schemes, you can tell a project to use different schemes to what it was created with at any time you want. What has changed is the set of available defaults and how they're shared (or not)

Perhaps this is our confusion. On the "Shared Configuration" pop-up, it says: "When a configuration is shared with several projects, it means that any changes made to the configuration will affect all the projects." We took that to mean that there was now a permanent connection between the projects called a "Shared Configuration". And updating one of the options on a project, such as selecting a different Workflow Scheme, would make that same change to both projects. Are you suggesting there is no such underlying link, and a new project created with Shared Configuration has no ongoing connection with the original project? If so, they should change the name from "Shared Configuration" to "Clone Configuraiton". If that is the case, we are sorta disappointed. Having to update multiple projects with similar configurations was a pain.

Confirmed. We assumed this was an implementation of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7020. We're voting for that now. In addition, we've written up https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45840 to address the misunderstanding.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2015

Yes, it's a misleading name for it because it still creates new things, and to actually share, you have to swap to other schemes.

0 votes
Matthias Bergmann August 21, 2020

The answer is not an answer to the original question, I think.

Is there a way to retroactivly apply a shared configuration of Project #1 onto Project #2 or not?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2020

Yes it is.

The question references a document about shared configurations (albeit 5 years old) and the answer is framed around the question and what was in that doc.

That does make it less clear if you don't read the doc, but to re-answer your question without referring to the doc:

It's not "retroactive".  A project has configuration.  At any time, you can change the configuration of a project, including changing it to use shared configuration

Like Matthias Bergmann likes this
Matthias Bergmann August 21, 2020

Wow, thank you for your quick answer! I understand, that I can change the seperate schemes, what would take some time. My question was maybe not clear enough: Is there a "one click" solution, to apply a shared configuration of Project #1 onto an existing Project #2.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2020

I'll start with "grumpy-nic" - no, I can't see much in your question (or the original post) that was about "make project X work the same as Y in one click".  That was not clear to me.

Having been grumpy about the text, I then must go the other way - you are totally right about sharing config.  I too would love to have a two-click option on a project that let me make it the same as something else.  (click one = "thinking about making this project work like another?", click two = "select the project it should share with")

Sadly, we cannot yet do this, we have to go through selecting each scheme for each project.

Like Matthias Bergmann likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events