Can I merge a JIRA cloud instance with an existing populated JIRA server instance that is already in use?

Daniel Burris July 26, 2016

I'm trying to consolidate JIRA. We have an ondemand instance that we have used for part of the company, and a JIRA server instance for another part of the company for security purposes. We want to import our cloud instance (not per project, but everything) into our local JIRA server instance. I want to make sure nothing gets messed up with the existing JIRA server projects with this migration. Is this possible or do I need to do it 1 project at a time?

Thanks,

Daneil

2 answers

2 votes
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Hi Daniel,

In order to preserve the target system's data you'll have to import the source projects one at a time using JIRA's project import tool. However before using the tool you need to have the projects' configurations set up - all schemes, worflows, issue types, custom fields, etc. You can do this in a single deployment using our add-on - Configuration Manager for JIRA. Since CMJ works on JIRA server only you can restore the cloud JIRA on a temporary server and then perform the migration.

For more details about this job you can review this article - https://botronsoft.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CMJ/Move+Projects 

If you encounter problems don't hesitate to drop us an email at support@botronsoft.com 

Thanks!

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

This is mostly the same procedure explained in the below KB article. Just since you have only 1 Cloud instance you can skip step #1:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-two-different-jira-cloud-applications-together-779160767.html

Suggest an answer