Can I install Bitbucket and Jira on the same server?

Craig Spencer December 10, 2015

We are setting up local servers for Jira/Bitbucket, and I need to know if there's a way to install them both on the same server? Trying to avoid formatting and installing esxi to virtualize the two environments.

edit - to clarify, I'm running on centOS, from what I've read, I may need to install JIRA into a seperate Tomcat container, but I'm unsure how to do so, is this even something I should be concerned with?

edit - I took the plunge and ran the installer on the server that I already had Bitbucket installed on, it worked fine, and everything is running as expected, thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jared Lesser December 10, 2015

We run Crowd, JIRA/JIRA Service Desk, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Confluence and FishEye/Crucible on the same server. No issues.

Christopher Gronde October 28, 2016

We are actually looking to do the same exact thing on MS 2012 VM.  Do You know of any Atlassian application that absolutely HAS to have it's own server?  What are the specs on your VM?  (Cores, RAM, HD space?)

Christian September 26, 2017

Jared, are you using the same database or does each application need separate databases and/or even separate database servers?

For Bitbucket, Atlassian doesn't recommend using MySQL according to this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/connecting-bitbucket-server-to-an-external-database...

What database did you use? Do you know what Atlassian recommends?

Like Brandon Smith likes this
0 votes
Eric Seibert August 15, 2018

I see that resource question wasn't answered about the full stack of tools on a server. What, has it been done on AWS instances or just VMWare. Also whats better to use apache or Nginx. 

then I suppose there is always the question of containers? 

I've been looking for answers and just keep finding vague answers to these questions. I was trying to run Bitbucket, Confluence fisheye/Crucible on a rhel7.5 server using Nginx but I just don't have it ironed out. Everyday and even more so Nginx hates whats happening and just starts chucking out 500 type errors (typically 504 bad gateway) I have yet to find anything worthwhile as far as answers on how Nginx needs to be configured.

0 votes
milennikolov January 6, 2016

The only major concern with Bitbucket on CentOS would be git compatibility - Bitbucket requires a fairly up-to-date version, while CentOS 6.7 and below fields ~1.7.1, which is not quite what Bitbucket likes.

May need to compile git from source (which is what I did), or use alternative repos (not recommended for all).

JIRA on CentOS is as straight-forward as it gets - just download the binary, it comes with everything you need. No need to fiddle with Tomcat containers, unless you'd like an advanced setup where Confluence and JIRA co-exist, which is what Atlassian discourage (it's unsupported).

You may need to setup an Apache (NOT Tomcat) with mod_proxy to route traffic to your apps, if you'd like to use ports that make sense, otherwise you'll need to run them across different ports.

0 votes
Jared Lesser December 11, 2015

Hey Craig,

In response to your edits, we actually are running our applications on a MS Server 2012 VM. However, we have talked about setting up some CentOS boxes ourselves and maybe moving the apps over (depending on how easy the transition would be). Curious to know though if the setup of Atlassian Applications on CentOS was pretty straight forward or not, or what guide you had used to get the applications up and running?

Thanks,

Jared

0 votes
RobertH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2015

Sure, why not?  Bitbucket can get a little I/O intensive at times in our environment, so we keep them separate, but there's nothing stopping you from doing this.  

Suggest an answer