Can I have multiple boards each with different workflows in a single project?

Andrew Moran June 1, 2016

Hi - I'm very new to JIRA so I apologise if the answer is simple to resolve.

I want to use Kanban to track a project through its implementation stages and to also track the tasks involved in each stage for each project. How I've initially decided to achieve this is by using an epic to signify a project. Then I can create subtasks under the epic as and when it is required. 

I then want one board to show the subtasks/tasks which is put through a workflow/columns for the standard 'backlog -> in progress > completed'. But then I also want to have a board that solely shows the epic issues and there I should beable to visually see which stage of the implementation the project (epic) is at. The purpose is so that at a glance a user can see where all their projects are sitting whilst also managing the day to day tasks for each.

Currently I have the task board working as it should i.e. only tasks and subtasks appear and the columns/workflow is as it should be. The second board shows both the tasks AND the epics. Furthermore I've edited the columns in the board configuration to show Stage 1 to Stage 4. 

My question is twofold.  a) Can I remove the tasks from this board and solely show epics and b) is this hacky and likely to trip up other areas of the system?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2016

Think of the boards as views onto the data-set - they allow you to view and change underlying data, but it means you can look at it any way you want to.

So, yes, you can hide the tasks on a board, by simply changing its selection of issues (add "and issuetype = epic" in this case), and it won't break anything.  Or create a new board with a different filter. 

My instinct though is that the best solution is to add a quick-filter to the board with "issuetype = epic".  When a user is on the board, they click that and all the tasks are hidden until they deselect it.  So you're swapping between task and epic view without leaving the board.

Andrew Moran June 5, 2016

Hi and thanks for the response. I tried this but the problem is that I need the columns to be different. So when I add a quick filter to show only the epics, the columns don't change with it. If I could achieve that it would be perfect.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2016

A board is defined by its columns, so "need columns to be different" cannot work, it's not logically possible.  If you want the views to be of different columns, you will need to define two boards.

Andrew Moran June 6, 2016

Yeah this is what I've set up. Thanks for the discussion, at least I know it's now not possible and what I've went with is the only viable method of achieving such functionality.

Suggest an answer