Can I get back the Excel export feature?

Stacey Knight March 27, 2017

I'm aware that the Excel export feature was removed for various reasons, replaced by the CSV option. Is it possible to get the Excel option back for those of us who require it? CSV has it's benefits but also it's drawbacks, so perhaps we could have the option to use the one most suitable for the task at-hand?

6 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2017

As an alternative, you may want to try the Better Excel Plugin

Although this is a paid add-on, it is a lot more powerful than the built-in Excel exporter (which is, in fact, an HTML table exporter). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiw0tuhdLzw

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2017

Fantastic, thanks for the confirmation!

0 votes
Stacey Knight March 29, 2017

We have 7.3.3 and my technical guys followed the instructions in the thread suggested by Thomas. This seemed to work and my Excel export is back.

This was the update my techs did to the JIRA config file:

jira.export.excel.enabled=true

LE MEE May 15, 2018

it don't work with jira 7.8 and 7.9

LE MEE May 15, 2018

you have to modify the jpm.xml file :

<property>
            <key>jira.export.excel.enabled</key>
            <default-value>false</default-value>

Mano Emmanvel October 21, 2018

Hi LE MEE, Were you able to get it fixed? We recently migrated to DC Jira which is on 7.8.0 and facing the same issue. Does the above modification of jpm.xml work for 7.8.0? Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2017

Did you test the flag that re-enables it in 7.2?  (I've not tried it with a 7.3 yet)

0 votes
Georgianne Rogers March 29, 2017

Stacy, I agree with you 100%. We just upgraded our JIRA instance to 7.3 and lost the Excel export functionality. It's very frustrating for these reasons: 1)  a lot  of our fields in exports now generically show as "custom field (name)" and you have to parse through 85 of them looking for the column of choice, move it and rename it. 2) Links no longer carryover in exports, so you have to key in individual issues. 3) Text fields, like description, have a bunch of garbage characters. This is a huge loss of functionality in my opinion.  I'm disappointed Atlassian would just discontinue it and consider CSV and comparable replacement. 

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2017

Hi Stacey,

there is a workaround described here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41472351

But I didn't test it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2017

It works for me, up to 7.2.highest - I've not yet tested it on 7.3.  But it will be going away.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events