Can I display issues not assigned to a Sprint on a JIRA Agile board?

Adam John Burley February 1, 2016

We use sprints in our team in a different way from JIRA Agile. We don't have a sprint scope per-se, a sprint is just a way to define a cut-off for our next release.

At the moment, in order to display an issue on a JIRA Agile board, we have to assign it to a Sprint. So we just have a single Sprint called "Sprint", and then assign all issues to that sprint. Unfortunately this means that if someone creates a new issue and doesn't assign that Sprint, then it doesn't appear on the board.

Of course it's possible to create a filter query which backs the board and shows only "Sprint IS EMPTY" issues, but then the board contains no issues. At the top of the board (e.g. http://jira.intranet/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1234) it says "Active sprints", but this can't be changed. If any board contains issues across multiple active sprints, it becomes a dropdown for which the default is "All sprints", but again there is no option to select issues which are in no sprint.

Is there a way to display issues on the board which have no sprint (and then only use the filter query to match the issues to display on the board - e.g. by workflow status)?

(JIRA version in my team: v6.4.10)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2016

Nope, the definition of the "working" board is that the issues are in the sprint.

You could move to a Kanban board instead and simply drop all the sprint stuff completely, then the board would show everything.

Or, if you have the script runner or something similar, you should be able to write code that goes "new issue? ok, what's the current sprint, lets shove the issue into that".  This, of course, means your planning is pretty pointless and all the numbers will just show "scope creep" in your sprints, but I think that's what you're doing already.

Vivienne Baranowski May 10, 2017

Nick,

I have a follow-up question....We are using Sprints as Sprints and each spans 2 weeks.  Each 'sprint' activity is defined and shown in our Scrum board.  (Ready for Dev, In Dev, Ready for Test, In Test, Ready for Sign-off and Accepted).  However, we have activities before and after that we also want to track such as the Story creation (or analysis) as well as the Business Acceptance testing (BAT).  

We have the same problem that although I've created three separate boards (Analysis, Scrum and BAT), I am unable to use the analysis and BAT as they are not associated with a specific Sprint.  They can occur over multiple sprints and in the case of the Analysis, some may never make it into a Sprint.

Any thoughts on how to be able to use these boards?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events