Can I combine existing Jira Core and Jira Cloud into new Jira Software server?

Joe Watschke April 17, 2019

We currently have an existing Jira Core (8.0) on premise and an existing Jira Cloud instance that we would like to combine into one Jira Software deployment on premise. 

Can we import two distinct Jira backups into a new Jira Software deployment on premise? I already know for Jira Cloud that we can't import "next-gen projects" which we don't have.

Can our existing Jira Core be upgraded to Jira Software first and then have the Jira Cloud data imported into that?

Looking for the best strategy to tackle combining different Jira environments into one.

Thank you 

1 answer

1 vote
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2019

Hey Joe,

You can!

The general process I'd recommend would be:

1. Upgrade your on-prem Core to Software
  2. Cleanup anything you can in your Cloud environment to match your desired on-prem configuration (match names of groups/workflows/schemes/fields/statuses etc etc)
  3. Export your Cloud environment
  4. Import your Cloud in to a brand new temp on-prem environment
  5. Finish any cleanup you may need to do (rename usernames to match for example - something you're unable to do Cloud native anymore)
  6. Merge your was-cloud-now-temporary-onprem environment in to your final on-prem Jira Software environment by exporting/importing each project 

If the Cloud environment is complicated to start with, it may be worth investing in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211611/configuration-manager-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview to help the final merge.

CCM

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events