Can I assign issues in a Round-robin fashion?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2017

When recurring tasks I want to be able to assign them on a rotating bases. Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2017

This can be done with Automation for JIRA. Simply use the "Assign Issue" action and select "Assign to a member of a list or group". You will be then offered choice of "Load Balanced", "Round-robin" and "Random".

Round-robin assigning iterates over a list of users and assigns issues to them in turn. I have written this up in more details at:

https://blog.codebarrel.io/smart-assign-jira-issues-load-balancing-round-robin-and-more-530f3a48bb25#.euyz7dsyg

0 votes
jackfleming April 28, 2022

I wonder if anyone know if there's a way for new issues to be auto assigned to developers in a round robin fashion.
or if there's a plug in for it.

Hi, this is possible. You should create a trigger in the database:

Example:
You have a support group with the users:
user_id User Name
1 Michael
2 Roger
3 Tatiana
This trigger will auto-assing a issue to the first user (1 - Michael), the next issue to the second user (2 - Roger), the next issue to the another user (3 - Tatiana), the next issue to the first user again (1 - Michael), etc.

CREATE DEFINER=`erodrigue`@`%` TRIGGER `mantis`.`mantis_bug_table_AFTER_INSERT` AFTER INSERT ON `mantis_bug_table` FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
UPDATE mantis_category_table
SET user_id=(SELECT CASE (SELECT handler_id
FROM mantis_bug_table
WHERE mantis_bug_table.handler_id<>0
ORDER BY id DESC
LIMIT 1
)
WHEN 1 /*user id 1*/THEN 2 /*user id2*/
WHEN 2 /* user id 2*/ THEN 3 /*user id3*/
ELSE 1 /*user id 1*/
END);
END

You should be replace the user_id code in the trigger.

0 votes
Sunil Sabale June 21, 2019

There is a plugin called "Round Robin Assignment for JIRA & JSD" having different round robin strategies. This plugin is able to configure per issue type round robin strategy

Jamie Hemond October 9, 2019

I loaded this plugin but when I attempt to add the agents to assign to its not finding any results even though I'm using the Jira account name.  Should it find these agents?

Sunil Sabale October 9, 2019

It have 3 strategies namely
1. simple round robin

2. number/count round robin

3. estimate round robin

Any one of the above 3 round robin would be applied further depending on group configured, or select list option to group mapping configured.

So ultimately its a group on which roundrobin will get applied.

So, if you want simple round robin to be applied among "Developer" group users, simple add users to the developer group, and apply round robin for "Developer" group. 

This plugin does not provided any way to apply round robin for individual user or agent, it gets applied through group.

Here is the documentation for plugin https://amrutsoftware.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PD/pages/5603333/Round-robin+Assignment+Plugin+User+Guide 

Hope I was able to explain. Please let me know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events