Can I achieve that with JIRA?

Rafal Dobrzynski April 1, 2016

Hi All,

Could you let me know if JIRA is a good choice for what I want to achieve? I want to build an automated ticket creation system based on SQL Server tables. Simply, JIRA should read every few minutes a table and in case there is a new information there it should create a new ticket and assign it to the first available person (also from a table). There are 3 questions?

• Does JIRA have some type of scheduler?
  • Can it read from SQL Server tables?
  • Can it create a ticket automatically and assign it to a person based on the data from a table?

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thank,
Rafal 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stratejos [stratejos.ai] April 1, 2016

The simplest way would be to use the REST API for JIRA using the following steps:

1. Choose the language of your choice (it sounds like it might be C#). 
  2. Create an application/program/project in that language
  3. Write some code that queries SQL Server and then posts the tickets from SQL Server to the Create Issue or Create Issues endpoint. Use Basic Authentication with HTTP.

I say the simplest is the API because, for this particular use case, a plugin seems like overkill.

You should have the above up and running in a few hours if not under an hour. When communicating with the API be sure to use Basic Authentication for simplicity. Then once you have this working you could think about more complicated approaches to authentication.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

You can do all of that with a JIRA add-on. Or you can create your own application and use JIRA's REST API.

Whenever there are customization requirements like this, I would say JIRA is a pretty good choice to go with!

Suggest an answer