Bulk Close Tasks

Ben Weisman August 9, 2016

Hi,

In JIRA 5.2 I am trying to bulk close  a large amount of tasks. I tried the move through workflow option but it only gives me one option, it seems maybe I can only move them one step at a time?  Is there a way to just bulk close these tasks?? I'd rather not bulk delete them but the Move Through Workflow option seems really confusing.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

If you want to jump them through to a specific status, your workflow must have a transition from the current status to the target one.  Status is not a field, it's an indication of progress through the flow.

So I can't bulk change the resolution of a group of tasks?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

Resolution is not status, that's a different question.

Yes, you can bulk-change resolutions, to anything you want, in one step, but you have to be very careful how you do it, as the easiest route involves temporarily allowing users to break your issues.

You've already got the route for bulk-changing the status - move them trhough the workflow (if it's one or two workflows, consider temporarily, or permanently adding "close from anywhere, if I'm an admin" to them)

So we have dozens and dozens of workflows with WAY too many steps in each. That is the reason we have so many unclosed tasks in the first place. How do I change the resolution of a group of tasks to completed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

Do you mean status or resolution?  These are two different things.

Resolution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2016

Ok.  For setting a resolution:

1.  Tell your users not to use JIRA while you're doing this
  2. Go to the "edit" screen for each project/issuetype you want to set the resolution for and add the resolution field to it
  3. Use bulk-edit to set the resolution on the issues
  4. Go back to the screens and remove it.

The reason you don't want it on an edit screen is that you don't want your users to resolve issues when they just do a normal edit.  When resolution is on a screen, it gets set, there's no option to leave it empty.

Remember, that just sets a resolution.  Your issues will not move through the workflow.

Suggest an answer