BugFix: getBoolean could not map the String 'N ' to Boolean type

Andrew Barnett March 15, 2017

We migrated the database backing JIRA from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2014 by taking a SQL backup from the original server and restoring to the target server. We also changed the compatibility level on the database from SQL 2008 to SQL 2014, and had to mess around will column-level collation settings. But everything worked for a day or two afterward. Then our support license expired, and within a day or so our JIRA instance stopped working with a 500 error.

The logs on the JIRA server had a stack trace that eventually resolved to

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: getBoolean could not map the String 'N ' to Boolean type
	at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntity.getBoolean(GenericEntity.java:414)
	at com.atlassian.jira.application.OfBizApplicationRoleStore.isDefault(OfBizApplicationRoleStore.java:168)
	at com.atlassian.jira.application.OfBizApplicationRoleStore.get(OfBizApplicationRoleStore.java:59)
	at com.atlassian.jira.application.DefaultApplicationRoleManager$RoleLoader.lambda$load$0(DefaultApplicationRoleManager.java:688)
	at com.atlassian.fugue.Option.map(Option.java:272)
	at com.atlassian.jira.application.DefaultApplicationRoleManager$RoleLoader.load(DefaultApplicationRoleManager.java:682)
	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.MemoryCacheManager$3$1.load(MemoryCacheManager.java:162)
	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.lambda$get$0(DelegatingCache.java:158)
	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.lambda$get$1(DelegatingCache.java:186)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalManualCache$1.load(LocalCache.java:4742)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3527)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2319)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2282)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2197)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3937)
	at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalManualCache.get(LocalCache.java:4739)
	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:173)
	... 646 more

From there, Google brought me to https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/latest/reference/com/atlassian/jira/application/OfBizApplicationRoleStore.html. Based on what that class seemed to be doing, I started looking through the SQL database for tables that had 'app' or 'role' in their name, and seemed to be related to permissions. I queried each table, looking for Boolean flags ('Y' and 'N').

I finally found the licenserolesgroup table, and the PRIMARY_GROUP column. Doing something like SELECT QUOTENAME(PRIMARY_GROUP) FROM licenserolesgroup showed the values all had a trailing space.

I tried the obvious: UPDATE licenserolesgroup SET PRIMARY_GROUP = RTRIM(PRIMARY_GROUP), but that didn't work.

The cause turned out to be that the PRIMARY_GROUP column is a NCHAR(2), so SQL Server will always pad the value with spaces. Looking back at the SQL 2008 instance, this column is a NCHAR(1) there, so something about the transition from one database version to another altered the datatype.

The fix was: ALTER TABLE licenserolesgroup ALTER COLUMN PRIMARY_GROUP nchar(1) null

Submitting this here in hopes of saving the next guy a couple hours of time debugging.

2 answers

0 votes
Akash July 17, 2017

Thank You So much!!

You really saved hell lot of time for me. I was strugling since past 2 days and even Atlassian could not come over with response on time and with correct solution. After googling I found your answers and it really worked like magic. My application is now up & RUnning.

I would have appreciated if Atlassian has mentioned in their Upgrade guide.

Thanks a Ton!!

Best Regards,

Akash

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience! smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events