Bug in Jira Cloud?

Raul Comerzan July 22, 2016

Hi everyone,

One of my colleagues notified an interesting thing and this is:

I activate Resolutions attribute on a project and  beside the defaults attributes I create two more. One of the attributes is called 'New' and I set it to be default resolution when you create a new Issue.

So problem is: when I create a new 'Bug Issue' and I set the Resolution field to be New(as default), Bugs with the resolution “new” appear with strike trough even if the Bus Issue is 'In Progress'. This problem is in all project where Resolutions are in use.

image2016-7-22 14:39:46.png

image2016-7-22 14:40:38.png

Thanks,
Raul 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2016

No, it's not a bug.

You must never have a resolution that means "not resolved" and you must never put the resolution field on a screen other than a "transition" screen.

To fix your JIRA now you've made the mistakes:

• Remove the resolution field from the "create issue" screen
  • Remove the resolution field from the "edit issue" screen if you've accidentally added it there too
  • Rename the resolution "new" as something like "broken resolution - do not use"
  • Find any other resolutions that might mean "not finished with" or "still open" and delete them, migrating to "broken resolution - do not use"

Now you can run a report on all the ones you've broken and analyse how to repair your data

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2016

100% agree!

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2016

Hi Raul,

JIRA considers an issue as open if it lacks a value in the Resolution field, and as closed if it has a value in it.

The Resolution field is intended to be used to provide information about what finally happened with the issue once there's nothing else to do with it.

Typical Resolution values include: Fixed, Done, Couldn't reproduce, Answered, Out of scope, Not a bug, Won't do, Finished, Deployed to Production... etc.

The Resolution field shouldn't be used to substitute workflow statuses, which suits much better for marking an issue as 'New'.

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events