Board columns out of order

Chris Fusting July 10, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with boards

I've just setup a workflow and assigned it to a workflow scheme. Everything works great except the columns on the board are out of order. The issues drag to the appropriate status columns but because of the order one is skipped and then one step takes an issue backwards. How can I fix this?

1 answer

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2016

For reordering your board's columns:

1. Go to your board and click on the cog icon from the top right corner > Configure
    configure.png 
  2. Click on Columns and drag & drop the columns to the correct order:
    columns.png 

Chris Fusting July 11, 2016

Perhaps I am dealing with a different board? I do not see cog.

board.png

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2016

Oops, that's the labs boards for Business JIRA Core projects. I think that's not doable on those kind of boards...

Perhaps I have made an error in my workflow?

workflow.png

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2016

I guess you just want to swap places between both yellow statuses.
You can probably achieve that by renaming each of them with the name of the other one, as it seems that the statuses are being ordered by their id (the number between parenthesis).
You may find problems using the same status name than another one already in use.
If that's the case, you can rename both of them with 'foo' names, and then give them their appropriate names.

If the statuses were being order by their ids would that not put "On-Board Tester" first? It's a bit tricky as when you move issues around you cannot put an issue from "Acquire Tester" into "Testing in Progress", rather you must skip the column and reach "On-Board tester" (which is the correct place.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2016

mmm... You're right! sorry haha. Then, it might be ordered by two things: First, by status category (Blue, Yellow, Green) and, for deciding which status with the same color goes first, then use alphabetical order. It might be a long shot, though, but that's my best guess so far.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2016

If you had JIRA Software, you could have many more options by creating a Kanban Board.

I see. Thanks for taking the time to help with this!

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2016

YW! If you finally manage to order the columns, please, update this question with the answer that worked! smile

Regards

Nina September 26, 2017

Hello

I have a kanban and undrar how to specific column order depending on my ticket workflow steps.. can you give a suggest

Suggest an answer