Blocked by subtask can transition without blocking User Story changing status

John Somers January 18, 2017

Hi,

I have a really simple workflow (Open -> In progress -> Done) with transitions in place (no All anywhere) and a single user story broken out into 10 subtasks. I want the first subtask to block all the subsequent ones.

I'm not using any plugins.

Sub task 1 is defined as normal and sits in the Open status column on Acitve Sprint view.

Sub task 2 is set to "Is Blocked By" Sub task 1 but I can drag Sub task 2 to In Progress or Done even though Sub task 1 is still in Open.

Has anyone any ideas about what could be wrong?

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
John Somers January 18, 2017

Thanks Dave,

it's odd that Atlassian would include those link types and not reinforce them. I want to avoid plugins if possible for the time being.

I think that JIRA does block a transition with the default JIRA workflow if I'm not mistaken. I'll try that out and check if there are any conditions in that flow which can do the blocking that I need.

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Hi John,

JIRA will not block the issues from transitioning

You could do this with scriptrunner plugin.

Write a custom script in the workflow conditions to check if there are linked issues in a certain status. 

Regards

Dave

Suggest an answer