Block jira-users group use

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

It is possible to block or limit the use of jira-users group in the administration project panel?

The problem is that if a project administrator add jira-users in the roles of the project, this could result in sending notification to thousands of users.

It will be nice to restrict the use of jira-users only to JIRA administrators.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

That would be a lovely improvement to JIRA, but I'm afraid it's not possible without code change (I've done it in a couple of places, by hacking the .vm that provides the option - specifically I did it for the options of sharing dashboards and subscriptions!)

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

Could you provide some code examples on how to do that?

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2016

I unaccepted your answer because I still have the problem and din't find a way to solve that.

Thanks for the hint.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

Mmm, I didn't see your first comment.  But the answer is still correct.  You'll need to find the templates that provide the selection criteria and hack them (I can't provide code because the templates vary between versions of JIRA in both location/name and how they do what they do)

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2016

I'm lost searching which velocity or java class are used to display the project's roles page:

plugins/servlet/project-config/PROJECT-KEY/roles

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2016

Ah, I think that one is buried in a "system" plugin - you'd need to expand that, find and edit the vm and then repackage it. 

(I'd expect a proper developer to tell me off for doing it this way, but you can unzip a plugin .jar file, edit text files such as .vms in them and then repackage them with a simple zip.  Some file managers actually let you do that without even unzipping them, they handle that for you)

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2017

I disabled the two modules about Group role in the system plugin 'Project Role Actors Plugin', now if someone tries to add a group in the project roles he will receive an error message.

I hope that this will not break something else in Jira...

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2017

I had to re-enable those two modules beacause previous permissions given by group-roles were not working anymore.

I still haven't found the code that is used to display the project-actor-role table, anyone can help me?

I'm looking inside atlassian-jira-6.4.13-source folder.

0 votes
C
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2016

Not that this solves your problem, but we replaced our jira-user group with multiple organizational groups.  these smaller groups limit the impact of adding the groups to the project user roles and mass spamming. 

I agree that it would be awesome to be able to block the use of certain groups.  In my Development's team backlog we have a task to see if we can do this with Script Runner, I will keep you posted if we are successful!

Suggest an answer