Best way to create a board for all projects

christopher-wilson January 13, 2017

I would like to have boards based on the default filters, like all projects, assigned to me, created by me, etc.

None of the default filters appear in the dialog to create a filter. What is the best way to do this? Or is there a better way of getting all the information in one view?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Courtney January 13, 2017

Hey Christopher,

What my team has done is instead of creating a board for all projects we created a dashboard for all projects and users. Anyone from all of our teams can access it, we call it "My Personal Dashboard" (super dorky, I know) and almost all of the filters that are embedded on that dashboard use the in (currentUser()) JQL function.

One of the things I wish JIRA would allow users to do is when I create a new project, using the "Create with shared configuration" function, I wish the tool would be "smart" enough to keep my boards configured the way they are setup in the project that is acting as a template for the new project. This kind of sounds like what you are attempting to accomplish with the comment "None of the default filters appear in the dialog to create a filter." but I could be wrong.

One word of advice would be to keep all of your projects, boards, sprints, and issues all together and to eliminate having issues from one project showing up on another projects board. We have had problems of users accidentally putting issues into another projects sprint and then all of the sudden Team A cannot close their sprint because Jim from Team B has a task on their active sprint board.

JIRA is honestly such an amazing and malleable tool; however, admins must proceed with careful deliberation at each step that is taken as that same ultimate customization that can lead to very awesome project management comes with a trade-off of increased complexity.

Anyways, without knowing that exact business processes and rules that drive how you and your team use the tool, my ability to provide advice is limited, but I think this may help with what you are trying to do, based on your question. 

Have a great day!

Best,

Daniel

Suggest an answer