Best way to config a board/dashboard for a specific view

Brian R June 13, 2016

Hi everyone,

Typically, for our agile development, we are using a JIRA board with backlog and active sprint (Kanban) views, which is working great. But we now have a somewhat unique team scenario we need a new board/dashboard/report set up for, for managers, and your advice is appreciated. Here is what we want:

• The team will have 2 projects.

• Each project has milestones, which are quarters (Q1, Q2, etc.). - For this, I was going to use versions.

• Epics will be features, and under those will be stories, tasks, and bugs

I have no problem getting both projects to appear on one board. What I need help on configuring a board or dashboard to have the following Kanban view:

• Columns are versions (Q1, Q2, etc.)

• Swimlanes are epics

Granted, I could just name by columns to Q1, Q2...and name by swimlanes to the features, but the reason why I want the data to pull from the version names and epic names as this view is for managers, while we will have a board that the developers use, meaning these need to be real epics and real versions.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2016

Your Kanban board is not a Kanban board.

A column on a board is a status, or set of status, indicating an issue's progress through the process.  It's not a version because a version is not a status.

For the not-Kanban view you describe, you'll need code, although rather than try to do it yourself, I'd be tempted to  take a good look at Comalatech's Canvas product.

Brian R June 13, 2016

Right (on the Kanban piece). I should say, I am looking for a matrix (the Kanban view is just a good example of a great way to visualize the data) with an X and Y axis. 

I played with some of the plugins for dashboards, and they just don't seem to do the trick. I was hoping for a dashboard solution for this.

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

What about the Two-dimensional Filter Statistics gadget - have you tried that. It wouldn't allow you to drag between columns like a board does, but it should give you a snapshot of your projects.

Brian R June 14, 2016

@Chris Dunne [GetJirified.com] The only issue with that is it just displays a count, and not the title of the ticket, making it not useful in my situation (AFAIK)

Suggest an answer