Best project management with JIRA?

Tobias February 23, 2016

Hi,

I'm currently using JIRA Software und JIRA Core on my server.
At all I want this to manage many projects.

I created some test projects with JIRA Software. I saw, that there is no option, to close a project, so that it is not visible in the project list.
Then I wanted to know, the amount of tracked time on the project. Is there any other option to see this instead of creating some report?
Is there an option, so I can set an status on project to define "closed", "billed" and so on?

Also would be interessted to set some milestones on the project, and see them in an gantt diagram?

I want to use JIRA as a agency...

How did you manage your projects?
Have you installed some add-ons? Which add-ons are best?

Thanks!

Tobias

4 answers

3 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Hi Tobias,

looks like all your requirements - like status, milestones, categories are covered by Cycle Control Add-on.
In addition to that there are metrics, risk and a lot more features that allow you to control the life-cycle of projects or even larger initiatives - programs and releases.
If you are interested, we will be happy to give you a demo.

Cheers,
Peter T

Tobias February 24, 2016

Hi Peter T,

Cycle Control looks good, can you please give me a demo?
Thanks

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Sure, please send us email to sales@botronsoft.com and we will coordinate.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2016

Projects don't have a status.  But you can do some organisation on them.

A lot of us use the Project Category - you can only have one on a project, but it does the job for most of us.  A category of "ended", "archived" or "done" covers dead projects.  You can use it in filters too - like "assignee = nic and category != ended"

To "close" a project, the standard practice is to create a permission scheme that just says "Browse: users", or even "Browse: no-one", and has no other permissions in it.  Applying the first one to the scheme makes it completely read-only.  Using the second will totally hide a project from all the users.

On the time spent report - try the gadgets on the dashboard - they might give you enough information about projects.  If not, then have a look in the marketplace, there's loads of time-reporting add-ons in there.

Lisa Zentz February 24, 2016

I'm trying to create a quick filter to capture all projects on a board - would project category work for that?  The boards seem to be tied to the project.  Use case, this quick filter with another such as all action items due within 1 week.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2016

Boards don't have to be single project (all of mine go across several projects at the moment), but a category could well help you with your filters.  Bear in mind you fllter for issues, not projects.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2016

Hi Lisa,

with Cycle Control you can accomplish showing all projects/releases on a agile board for ranking and other purposes. This might be a little of topic but wanted to provide that information. Contact me if you are interested.

0 votes
Tobias February 24, 2016

Okay, I think that I've found a nive solution...

As I have project types like "Software Development" or "Web Development"... I can create per type a second type like "[CLOSED] Software Development"... This types I can filter out

0 votes
Tobias February 24, 2016

Is there any extension, that give projects a status?

I don't want to change project category at all...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2016

There's a neat one called "pro fields" which allows you to add fields at a project level - I've used that for a status field before.

Lisa Zentz February 24, 2016

How do you add "pro fields" and where?  Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2016

It's an add-on.  Admin -> Find new add-ons -> search for pro fields.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events