Automation rule fails: "Issue event trigger could not retrieve this issue for further processing"

Erik Vanderstraeten February 16, 2021

We have an automation rule like screenshot below.
The aim is to inform support agents to follow communication on linked issues from another project (fyi: those were escalated to another team).  We added automation that would copy a comment from one project to another, but it actually never worked.
When it should copy a comment, it already fails on the trigger step "When: Issue commented" with : "Issue event trigger could not retrieve this issue for further processing"

In Rule Details, we did specify "restrict to projects: WHSSUP and BIT"
+ Actor = user who triggered the event (or Automation for Jira if there aren't enough permissions)

Anybody understands why Jira Automation isn't able to retrieve the issue?

image.png

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Hi Erik,

Try using {{triggerissue.comments.last.body}} when you add the comment. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Oh, and use {{triggerissue.comment.last.author.displayName}} to show the author.

Like Simmo likes this
Erik Vanderstraeten February 16, 2021

Thanks John.
I just tried it again and {{comment.author.displayname}} and {{comment.body}} seems to work fine.  (As does your suggestion)

Note: while testing I couldn't reproduce my issue; I'll keep an eye on it the next days.

Like John Funk likes this
Erik Vanderstraeten February 18, 2021

Today I had the same issue again.

Note: I have 2 similar rules (only difference is a link to another project).

I made your suggested change to one of the two rules.

Today, both rules failed again (for the same BIT ticket; which doesn't have any linked issue).
Thus your suggestion is not helping unfortunately

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Can you share the audit log where it failed? 

Erik Vanderstraeten February 18, 2021

Hi John,

of course, here you go:
(FYI: BIT-559 is not of the SUAT project and doesn't have any linked issues)

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events