Automation for JIRA - Create Sub-tasks doesn't seem to be working

Kadir November 17, 2016

Hello,

I am testing the trial version of "Automation for JIRA" plugin right now.

When an issue is created I also want to create sub-tasks with it. Here is the overview of the rule

image2016-11-17 16:32:30.png

When I run the rule it creates the story but not sub-tasks, do I miss something here?

In this project we are using classic workflow and issuetypes.

I checked all the questions but cant find the answer. 

2 answers

0 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Kadir,

If you look in the rule Audit Log, does it show any errors?

Either the rule is not being triggered (As Phyllis said, potentially a custom event or perhaps permissions) or there are errors trying to create the sub-tasks.  This can happen when there are required fields on the sub-tasks.  To get around this, you will need to add the sub-tasks via the "Create Issue action" - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41460499

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Nick

Kadir November 17, 2016

Hey Nick and Phyllis,

thanks for your answers.

When I add this rule on "issue created" it doesn't get triggered and I don't see it in the automation log. This project is using system defaults for Workflow and permissions (I am admin), so I don't think something is blocking it. 

When I check the required fields on sub-tasks, only Summary, assignee and reporter is required.

"Allow rule trigger" option is also checked. I am using version 1.0.2 and our JIRA version is v7.1.9.

I will check again all the custom events and will let you know if I can find something.

Best,

Kadir

0 votes
Phyllis Zhu November 17, 2016

Hi Kadir

Make sure in the Rule Details, you have the checkbox for "Allow rule trigger" checked, this allows more than one rule to run in a project. 

I had a similar issue where the problem was the created issue was firing a custom event rather than a system event so the Automation for JIRA was unable to pick up that an issue was created and to run the sub-task rule creation. You can check that question and answer: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/44079377

Hope this helps. 

Phyllis

Suggest an answer