Attachments get not enough disk space when 13 GB free on attachment folder drive

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2015

We get random errors for not enough disk space when attaching files to JIRA issue. The drive that has the attachment folder  has 13 GB free and the files sizes are usually under 198MB. Is there a bug with JIRA older versions? 5.2.4.1

Caused by: java.io.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.writeBytes(Native Method)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.write(RandomAccessFile.java:482)
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexOutput.flushBuffer(FSDirectory.java:472)
at org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexOutput.flushBuffer(BufferedIndexOutput.java:99)
at org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexOutput.flush(BufferedIndexOutput.java:88)
at org.apache.lucene.store.ChecksumIndexOutput.prepareCommit(ChecksumIndexOutput.java:89)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.write(SegmentInfos.java:392)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.prepareCommit(SegmentInfos.java:871)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.startCommit(IndexWriter.java:4505)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.prepareCommit(IndexWriter.java:3354)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3425)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commit(IndexWriter.java:3407)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commit(IndexWriter.java:3391)
at com.atlassian.jira.index.WriterWrapper.commit(WriterWrapper.java:132)
... 342 more

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2015

Windows is known to be really bad at reporting on disk problems in some cases.

As Sam describes, Linux can be a bit obscure - it says "out of space" when it's genuinely out of space, but also does it when out of inodes (which is very different, but the error messages are misleading).  But that's 2 causes.  Windows will throw "out of space" on all sorts of silly errors.

Start with a quick check - most silly errors only happen on genuinely low disk space.  Forget the absolute space of 13Gb free - what is the proportion?  Is 13Gb more or less than 5% of the total (formatted) disk space available?  If it's under 5% (as reported by the windows disk overview), then that's where spurious errors happen.  Free up some space to get back up above 5%.

If 13Gb is less than 5% of the total disk, then you'll need to start digging through system logs to find out why Windows is lying to the JVM

0 votes
no_longer_in_sudoers_file
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2015

Ken,

I assume you are in Linux.  If not this won't apply.  But if so have you checked your inodes?  Use "df -i"  I can't tell you the number of times I have had a file system tell me I had free space when I ran "df" only to find out all the inodes were used.  If your inodes are all used up, I might suggest taking the system offline and using "fsck" to clean things up.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2015

We are on Wondows 2008 server latest updates

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events