As a service delivery team, should we run different Jira SaaS instances for each client?

Joseph Malone April 21, 2016

We are a global service delivery team for a SaaS company and have identified JIRA as our preferred ticket manager for clients. We are in the early days of our integration and I am interested in whether we should clone instances of JIRA for each client instead of creating a complex single integration where we must pay special attention to permissions. It is vital that we keep each client's information closed to only the internal teams involved.

Is there a best practice here for such a scenario?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

Each of them have their own pros and cons JIRA SaaS (Multi-tenancy vs Multi-instance). I prefer multi-tenancy for several reasons (Single JIRA instance with multiple clients). You just have to play around with the administration side and keep everything simple. Permission will not be an issue. I have one JIRA instance that hosts 1,200 active projects (each may or may not have different clients) and use a set of specific project templates (one template for waterfall, for agile, for simple agile, for general issue tracking, for others). I cannot imagine me doing this the other way, technical, maintenance, support, and hardware wise.

Joseph Malone April 26, 2016

Thank you!

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2016

No problemo amigo!

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2016

A single instance would probably be the best starting point.

If you arrive at a situation where is makes better sense to have more than one instance you can always export the projects and import them to the new instance.

As Gabrielle said, permissions is not that difficult to implement and with roles you should be able to come up with a very flexible scheme.

Joseph Malone April 26, 2016

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events