• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Article cites "Assign User" permission in the "Browse Users" paragraph. There is no such permission at the project level. There are two similar ones, but I don`t know which one is mentioned here. Is it "Assign issues" or "Assignable user"?

Article cites "Assign User" permission in the "Browse Users" paragraph. There is no such permission at the project level. There are two similar ones, but I don`t know which one is mentioned here. Is it "Assign issues" or "Assignable user"?

Peter Krahulik June 24, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing global permissions

Article cites "Assign User" permission in the "Browse Users" paragraph. There is no such permission at the project level. There are two similar ones, but I don`t know which one is mentioned here. Is it "Assign issues" or "Assignable user"?

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2016

As the documentation says

Assign issues Permission to assign issues to users.

Peter Krahulik June 26, 2016

So "Assign users == Assign issues"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2016

Yes, that's what it says.  Slightly different phrases can mean the same thing in English.

Peter Krahulik June 27, 2016

Maybe that's the problem. A project lead from our company wanted to assign users to his project. He couldn't do it without "Browse users" permission and that's why I looked up the documentation. In this context, "Assign users" looks great - you can assign them to anything. "Assign issue" is more exact, but not what I want.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2016

Ah, that's sort of misusing the word "assign" in English, and more-so in JIRA-speak.

Generally, you do not assign users to projects.  It's an odd way of using "assign" in modern English.  JIRA's use of language makes it even more strange - generally, when you use variations on the word "assign" when talking about JIRA, it's all about people and issues.  Not the projects.

If you want to put/include/allocate users in projects, then the usual way to do it is to use the roles.  People with "project administration" rights can add and remove users from roles in their project.  Assigning issues has nothing to do with user maintenance (although you will want to put users into certain roles so that they can assign and/or be assigned, issues)

Peter Krahulik June 27, 2016

Please update your answer to include this information: "Assign users == Assign issues", if you don't mind.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2016

Um, it already says that

0 votes
C
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2016

anyone who has "Assignable user" permission can be assigned an issue in the project.

anyone who has "Assign User" permission can assign users to issues within the project.

Note: a user does not have to have the browse permission to be assigned issues.   if you assign a user who does not have the browse permission, they will not receive notifications that you assigned them an issue.  this is helpful when you are assigning work to a user who may not be using the tool.

Peter Krahulik June 26, 2016

There is no such permission as "Assign user". There is "Assign issue" permission and "*Assignable* user". My question was related to the fact that the link text in "Managing global permissions" makes a weird combination of those two.

Suggest an answer